This dish can be served as a main course. Serves eight people
- 16 tomatoes medium sized
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 small chopped red bell pepper
- hand full cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- Boil water in a kettle and keep aside.
- Wash and drain the rice
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat and add Ghee to it.
- To heated ghee add curry leaves, cashew nuts and chopped red bell pepper and roast for 2 minutes until cashew brown and capsicum softens.
- Add the washed rice to the above mixture and stir for 2 minutes. Pour the boiling water, followed by peas , salt, turmeric and black pepper powder.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Do not disturb the cooking process.
- Check the rice is cooked and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- Clean the tomatoes. Slice off the top third of the tomatoes and reserve, this will serve as the lids for the stuffed tomatoes.
- Gently scoop the insides of the tomatoes using a spoon.
- At this stage you should have 16 tomatoes shells placed in a baking tray or muffin tray.
- Divide the cooked rice into 16 portions and fill the tomato shells with the rice and place the lids on them. (At this stage you can also add a little cheese on the top of the rice which is optional)
- Bake the tomatoes in a preheated oven at 150C for 10 -15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool then transfer to serving plates accompanied with mint and coriander chutney.
- Serve to Lord Krishna and enjoy His prasadam.