Stuffed Bitter Gourd
An interesting recipe which will make people love this vegetable also known as Karela. It helps in reducing cholesterol and diabetes.
- 8 medium sized Karela / Bitter Gourd
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups Besan/ Chickpea flour
- 4 1/2 tbsp Coriander and cumin powder
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp oil
- 100 ml water approximately
For tempering / tadka
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 turmeric
- Wash and dry karelas with a tea towel. Remove the ends of karela and make a slit in the centre of karela. Now with the help of a spoon remove the flesh and seeds.
- Fill a medium sized pot with water and bring it to boil over medium heat. Add salt and cook karelas in it for 10-15 minutes until half cooked. Remove from heat and drain the water and place the karelas on a tea towel to remove excess water.
- Now in a small saucepan dry roast chickpea flour over medium heat for 5 minutes or until aromatic. Remove from the hot pan and keep aside don’t let it burn
- To the chickpea flour add dhania jeera powder, salt, turmeric, sugar, lemon juice, oil and water (100 ml) and mix well.
- Once the karelas cool down and drained stuff the chickpea flour mixture through the slit carefully.
- In a medium sized wok add ghee for tempering and add mustard seeds and allow them to pop
- To the above add asafoetida, grated ginger and chopped chillies, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Next add the stuffed Karelas carefully not disturbing the stuffing. Cover and cook over medium high heat for 5 more minutes without stirring.
- Serve them to Lord Krishna and enjoy His Prasadam.