Makes 2 medium sized pizzas or 4 mini pizzas
For pizza base
- Plain flour – 2 cups and little extra for dusting (strong white bread flour if available)
- Instant/ easy dry yeast – 7 gms sachet
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water (may require more or less depends on the flour)
- 4 – 5 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- handful of basil leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilly flakes
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp of mixed Italian spices
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 capsicum/ bell pepper (cut in rings)
- baby corn
- olives (black and green)
- 1 Tomato (cut in rings)
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella
- cheddar cheese(optional)
For pizza base
- Sieve the plain flour,and place it in a big mixing bowl and add the salt, sugar and the dry yeast in it and mix well.
- Now make a well in the center of the flour and pour the warm water in it and start mixing them until it form a good dough.
- Now knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes with the help of a little flour for dusting, until the dough is firm and when gently touched springs back.
- Now put a little oil in the base of the mixing bowl and place the dough in the bowl and cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15- 20 minutes.
- At this stage you can store the dough for later use by just cling filming it and put it in the fridge.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil at medium heat and to it add asafoetida and then add tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes cook to a mushy paste and add salt, chilly flakes and Italian mixed spices and mix well.
- If necessary add a little water to the sauce and boil till it comes together.
- Now add the fresh chopped basil to the tomatoes and let it cook for a minute. remove from heat and let it cool.
- Now we have all our Pizza dough, toppings and the sauce ready. Lets put together the Pizza.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Take a baking tray and line it with grease proof paper (if not available just brush some oil and sprinkle some semolina/ sooji/ bombay rawa).
- Now on a dusted surface (with plain flour) knead the dough and divide into 2 or 4 as per requirement and roll them flat into a circle (like roti), keeping the edges thick.
- Transfer the flat dough on to the Baking tray
- Now spread the tomato sauce onto the dough and then place you topping and spread the cheese generously on the toppings.
- Place the baking tray with prepared pizza on it into the preheated oven and bake it for 10- 15 min or until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.
- Remove the Pizza from the oven and cut into as many pieces as possible (you either get 4 or 8 depending upon size) with the help of a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
- Serve to Lord Krishna and enjoy his Prasadam.