20 May, Fri- Sri Narasimha Jayanti
Coming Friday 20th May it is Lord Sri Narasimha Jayanti.
- Narasimha Jayanti is celebrated on the 14th day of Shukla Paksha(Waxing phase of moon) in Vaisha:kha month.
- Lord Narasimha is the 4th incarnation of Maha Vishnu. Lord Vishnu appeared in form of Narasimha to kill the demon Hiranyakashipu.
- Prahalad is the young son of Hiranyakashipu and ardent follower of Vishnu.
- Hiranyakashipu prayed to Lord Brahma and got a boon to not get killed by a man or a beast, neither on the earth nor in the sky, by the day or the night, from inside or the outside, not with any kind of weapons etc.
- He conquered heaven and earth. He declared himself as the God and asked everyone to worship him instead of Lord Maha Vishnu. And thus lord Vishnu came in this half man half lion form and killed Hiranyakashipu.
What to be done on this day?
On this auspicious day of Narasimha Jayanti it is recommended to do upavasam(Stay as much as near to the lord), fasting till evening. Chanting of Narasimha ashtotharam and Narasimha Ashtakam is appropriate on this day. Offer Vadappappu(split moong dal) and Pa:nakam(Jaggery water) as naivedhyam to the lord.
If you need more information please drop an email to email@example.com. Good luck.