Chowli / Black eyed bean curry
- chowli / black eyed beans- 2 cups
- tomatoes – 3
- chilli – 1
- ginger – half inch piece
- cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- carom seeds – 1 tsp
- asafoetida – a pinch
- turmeric powder- a pinch
- red chilli powder/ cayenne pepper- 1 tsp
- butter/ ghee – 2 tbsp
- rajma masala powder – 1 tbsp
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander leaves – 1 tbsp (garnish)
- juice of half a lemon
- sugar – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Soak chowli overnight and pressure cook them and keep aside.
- Place the tomatoes, chilli and ginger in a blender and blend them into a paste and keep aside.
- In a wok/ kadai, heat the butter or ghee on medium high heat.
- Once the ghee/ butter is hot add the cumin and carom seeds and asafoetida and fry it for a minute.
- To the above add red chilli powder/ cayenne pepper and fry it for a minute.
- Now, add the rajma masala powder and fry it for a minute .
- To the above add the tomatoes paste and roast it.
- Add the boiled / cooked chowli to the tomatoes and add salt and mix well.
- Let them boil for 10 minutes for the beans to soak the masalas. Mash the beans a little bit with a potato masher and mix well.
- Now, remove from heat. Add lemon juice , sugar(optional) and coriander and mix well.
- Serve the chowli sabzi with rotis/ puris or rice to Krishna and enjoy His prasadam.