- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup cleaned and chopped methi (fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafoetida powder
- 1 chopped green chilly
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp oil for shallow frying
- Lemon juice of half a lemon
- Coriander leaves (chopped) for garnish
- Clean, peel and cut the potatoes in cubes
- When the frying pan heats up, add oil to it and add cumin seeds and asafoetida till crackle
- Add green chilly and grated ginger to the oil and let it fry for a minute.
- Add the potato cubes to the oil and add salt and turmeric powder to the potatoes and let it cook for 5 min until it makes a crust underneath.
- Shuffle the potatoes and cook with cover for 5 min so that the potatoes cook through.
- Now remove the cover and check whether the potatoes are cooked , if not leave it to cook for 2 more min and the shuffle them again and let them form a skin on all the sides as a result
- After the potatoes are fried from all the sides add the cleaned and chopped methi to it and mix them well and let it cook till soft and almost dry.(methi gives out water so let that water evaporate)
- To the above add cumin powder and coriander powder and mix.
- Remove from heat and transfer into a serving dish
- Garnish with lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice to Perumal and enjoy His prasadam
While shuffling and mixing do not use a spoon try to toss them in the pan and toss them as little as possible do not worry if use have never tossed in the pan then use a spatula/spoon to mix but then be careful not to smash the potatoes.