How to prepare Tamarind Chutney ?
- Tamarind – small lemon sized ball
- Water – 2 cup
- Fresh dates/ dry dates- about 8 to 10 (1/2 cup)
- Ground dry ginger- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry red chilly powder- 1 tsp
- Fennel/saunf seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Jaggery powder – 4 tbsp
- In a sauce pan, take the tamarind, dates (if dried dates are being used soak them in hot water for 2 hours or until soft) and water.
- Cook the above mixture on a medium low heat for 10 min until they soften.
- Add jaggery powder to the above and simmer for 2 minutes until the jaggery dissolves.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, ground dry ginger powder and red chilli powder to the above and mix well
- Add salt and saunf seeds / fennel seeds to the date and tamarind mixture and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Once the mixture thickens remove from heat and keep aside and let it cool.
- With the help of a hand blender blend the chutney till smooth and strain the chutney strainer.
- Serve this chutney with parathas or theplas to Lord Krishna and enjoy His Prasadam.
This tamarind chutney can be stored in a airtight container in the fridge for about two weeks. It can used a topping for many chaats.