How to prepare Aubergine and Flat Beans curry ?
- Aubergine (Small indian or chinese variety)- 200 gms / 8 to 10
- Flat Beans (Chikudulu)- 150 gms / two good handful
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Curry leaves – 6 to 7 leaves
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Fresh green chillies – 2
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Fresh coriander leaves – a good handful
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash, string and chop the beans into inch sized pieces.
- In a sauce pan boil some water and cook then beans for 10 minutes until tender.
- Remove from heat, drain the water and set aside the beans.
- Wash and chop the aubergine into long pieces and place them in salt water to stop them from turning colour.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame, add urad dal, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splatter.
- To the above add asafoetida and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Now add the chopped aubergine, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Cook the aubergine till tender (cooks faster when the pan is covered).
- When the aubergine is tender add the already cooked beans and mix well.
- Meanwhile blend fresh coriander, chillies and ginger in a grinder to a coarse paste without adding water and keep aside. This is the masala to be added in the end of the curry.
- Once the curry is cooked, add the blended masala to it, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve it to Lord Krishna with rice and yogurt. Enjoy His prasadam.