How to prepare Cassava chips ?
- Mogo / cassava/ Tapioca – 250 gms/ 2 cups
- Oil to deep fry
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper- 1/2 tsp
- black salt – a pinch
- chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- sugar – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Cassava is available both as fresh root or in the frozen option. For both, the preparation is almost similar. If using the fresh root then skin the root and chop them into chip sized sticks just as we do with the potatoes. While chopping in the centre keep in mind that you have to remove the woody part which will not cook properly. In the frozen option it is already chopped and frozen. Cut them into smaller pieces or use them as it is.
- Prepare the cassava chips as per the note above and place them in boiling water for 10 minutes and let it cook until translucent.
- Now, remove from heat and drain the chips onto a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture so that it won’t splatter while frying.
- In a deep wok, place the oil for deep frying on medium-high heat. Once, the oil is hot, place a batch of chips into the oil and let them fry for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Fry the chips till golden brown and drain onto a kitchen towel.
- Mix pepper, salt, black salt and sugar (optional) and chilli powder in a mixing bowl and to this add the fried cassava chips and toss them together.
- Serve them hot to Lord Krishna with yogurt or mint chutney and enjoy His prasadam.